• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

A fruit a day keeps the doctor at bay!

Sorry for not posting the past few days, I've been in a funk.

I'll catch up today, posting every now and then when I'm on work breaks.

So, for todays first fruit I have monstera deliciosa. Often grown as a house plant, this plant is usually malnourished and never able to properly grow.

They're partial epiphytes (grow on other plants) and usually become massive! The common name is swiss cheese plant.
The lower leaves tend to be full, and the higher up they go the more holes they develop. Maximizing the efficiency of photosynthesis.

original (9).jpg
original (10).jpg

The fruits are said to be divine, but there's one problem with them. If you try and eat them early they'll give you painful oxalic "burns" (it's actually tiny sharp chemical crystals cutting you!). The fruit ripens and falls apart. You can only eat the parts that are falling off, or you'll have a bad time.

Wow, I’ve never seen anything like that one!
PXL_20240422_215018786.jpg

I found an aborted flower the other day.
They're really, really flipping cool.

I don't think this store knows the treasure they have, but their plant was growing up the grow room wall.

I got some other neat ones planned to drop today too, cool fruits I don't think many lads have seen!

• Love
Reactions: Doo
Alright, here's a couple fun relatives of papaya!

First off is Vasconcellea goudotiana.
This rather uncommon fellow is from Columbia, and isn't really cultivated much.

Some are tasty, but most are just straight inedible.

original (11).jpg
original (12).jpg
original (11).jpeg
1650463622351.jpg
1650494651822.jpg

And then there's carica weberbaueri, or "mountain papaya". Now this one isn't common in cultivation either, but is used for a interesting hybrid that I'll share in a later post.

21740684_byojn.jpeg
unknown-45.jpeg
20230614_153458.jpg

This is such a cool cool thread!!! I LUV fruit though am only somewhat familiar with some of these! Peaches are my favs. Always have been! Im all for trying new things though!!!!

This thread makes me feel like I've been living a lie, thinking that I was aware of most of the fruits in the world 😜 I never knew fruit could look so varied and cool! Half these pictures look like alien fruit to me, it's wild. 10/10 thread

This thread makes me feel like I've been living a lie, thinking that I was aware of most of the fruits in the world 😜 I never knew fruit could look so varied and cool! Half these pictures look like alien fruit to me, it's wild. 10/10 thread
There are thousands of edible fruits in the world, most people see a very small handful of them. It's why I love reading into them :3

These are kadsura, a vine native to a large chunk of Asia. They've just recently gained the spotlight in modern agriculture. But, for a very long time they've been harvested from the wild and cultivated by small villages.

Folk lore says they were eaten by ogres so... equip your gear cause you're fighting the ogres! Maybe the doctor coming back to help would be a good thing...

image0-47.jpg

image0-55.jpg
image0-46.jpg
image0-53.jpg
image0-32.jpg

These are kadsura, a vine native to a large chunk of Asia. [...] Folk lore says they were eaten by ogres so... equip your gear cause you're fighting the ogres!
As a Pokémon fan, I would just give my kadsura to the first ogre that comes to my mind…Ogerpon!

Here's that fruit I mentioned before. When you get standard papayas and hybridize them with mountain papayas you make this, the babaco. It has a much higher papain content, so if you think that papayas taste nasty don't eat this! To some people a papaya tastes like tropical heaven, to others, vomit. That's papain.

original (12).jpeg
original (13).jpeg
original (15).jpeg

It's a fruit, it's a jam, it's Rosenbergiodendron formosum!

original (13).jpg
original (16).jpeg
blackberry-jam-fruit-2.gif

Dragonfruit are pretty cool.
They're epiphytes and hang down to produce fruit. They're usually grown with a trellis and a frame at the top. The cactus will branch over the frame, hang down, and produce fruit. The flowers only last one night, and are extremely fragrant.

susnsetyellowdragonfruitmiamifruitCropped_1_600x.jpg
image_af420e9e-b997-4e20-92ac-1c852a945211_600x.jpeg
image_fc8a7467-0b79-4a0a-87b7-019b59264e8f_600x.jpg
image_12f769ae-8f9a-4244-a52f-beedc1401d14_600x.jpg
Selenicereus-grandifloras-Spicy-Exotics.jpg
Selenicereus-grandifloras-fruit-on-the-vine.jpg

There's quite a few species, but only three are commonly seen in stores.

Back