• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Is there an animal you love in real life, but not in Animal Crossing?

eeveelovee

🔮 Pokémon Master 🔮
Bells
Island
Ashlar
Yellow Balloon
Pink Balloon
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
Crystal Tree
So, I am an animal lover, I love ALL animals, creepy and cute. However, there are certain villagers whose species I adore in real life, but I will never have them in the game.

For example, my favourite animals are cats. I adore big cats especially, such as Lions and Tigers!! However, the lion and tiger designs in the game... just don't look right to me.

Why do the tigers have these big, round muzzles, but no whiskers? It just looks weird to me that a cat has no whiskers. It's just bald and round and empty, and I am not a fan of how they look. Cats are supposed to be cute... and they just don't look cute to me lol!

Do you have any villager species you adore in real life, but not in Animal Crossing??

i'm the same way with lions, like... idk, in game they look so funny to me. also monkeys. a lot of the monkeys are really awkwardly designed and i've never had any attachment to any of them LOL. but monkeys irl are soo cute to me

You chose two examples that I love in the game, cats and tigers. Bangle is one of my keepers.

I would say the ostriches are my least favorite, but I love them in real life. I feel like their long necks and small heads in real life don't quite come across in the game. They are so goofy and lovable in real life, but not in the game.

Bears. I love bears irl and they’re one of my favorite animals, but most of the villagers do not do them justice. The ones I like are Grizzly and Teddy, but even then I wouldn’t call them favorites.

Real-life koalas are so cute, but I've never been a fan of the koalas in Animal Crossing. The cuteness didn't translate well, for the most part. (I do like Melba and Faith, though.)

Great question! This is how I feel about elephants. I love real elephants, but the proportions in-game look completely off to me. The ears are small and stick straight out, the trunks are small and stiff--they just really don't work for me. Which has always been a bit sad to me! I really like the hippos and rhinos, and I wish the designers had leaned more toward those larger-head proportions if they were going to try to translate elephants to the AC villager style.

I'm this way with the rabbit villagers—I think rabbits are really cute and it doesn't stop me from appreciating certain rabbit villagers, but I'm just not a fan of those perfectly upright rounded ears 😭 it's like my least favorite trait for rabbit character designs

There are some villagers that I'm disappointed about in terms of model design. It makes me wish they could be remodeled in future games although that will never happen.

They've been mentioned in the OP but the lions and tigers look absolutely bizarre because of their species model but it's made worse by the fact that the actual cosmetic designs of the majority of them look dreadful for the most part. Bianca is quite cute despite the weird tiger model but none of the lions are saved.

The mice are quite odd too although I've warmed up to the likes of Petri and I've always liked Rod. As someone previously pointed out, it's odd that the elephants have such small ears yet the mice have dumbo ears which are bigger than their bodies.

Additionally, I've never liked the dogs models. I find them quite boring for some reason; there are so many varieties of dog breeds that aren't properly emulated in AC because of model limitations and I understand that. However, seeing German shepherds having to be represented through Vivian the wolf is cool but reinforces my issue with it. In contrast, the ostriches are able to represent a variety of birds such as flamingoes and peacocks in a satisfactory way.

Cats are my favourite animals in real life, but I don't like how they look in Animal Crossing.

i love horses and wild cats, but I don’t care for most horses in the game except for Roscoe and I don’t like any of the lions. Their design looks really weird to me, especially the head.

Ducks! I love ducks in real life, always thought they were so cool to see on the lake when my grandparents lived on one. But for some reason, the ducks in AC are just... very lack luster to me. The only ones that I find cute in any way is Molly and Freckles, but they really don't make up for the species as a whole in the game.

Back