• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Splatoon Splatoon General Discussion

New Eggstra Work coming in May.
IMG_7170.jpeg

I really want to try to improve to try for gold this time. I got silver last time and was only 11 eggs shy of gold. If anyone here is good at Salmon Run (EVP rank ideally) and available that weekend feel free to message me. I have a group of 3 and it would be nice to get a 4th. Relying on a random person was real hit and miss last time as we could never rely on them to do the same thing each time so often a wrench was thrown into our strategy.

Best of luck for anyone that participates though!

Ooh, Eggstra Work... I have only caught two of them so far, but it's pretty fun on call with friends!

I'm probably going to try and get dibs on the Rapid Blaster or Hydra Splatling if I'm able to play any. I generally like Blasters, and the Hydra Splatling seems fun on Junction in particular, ESPECIALLY if this EW has a Mothership Wave 😈

Recently in Splatoon, I’ve been mostly playing Tableturf. I log on just for Tableturf.

I have almost every card but I haven’t built new decks. I’m really close to getting that Card emote

Splatoon thing I've just realized like right now. A lot of players are just generally scared to go up and get splatted.

I was watching a short video earlier on how having a team with more than one backliner isn't efficient for coordinated teams, but the reason why it works pretty well in solo queue is because many random players are generally just scared to go and push. Like, backliners are great defenses but poor offenders. And I've been realizing that a bit more when practicing in turf, backliners will tend to fumble or move away once you get close to them or start hitting them, and because their weapons are slow to fire, you're more likely to corner and splat them if you're just confident enough. I've been playing some slayer weapons recently (splatana wiper and carbon roller) and mustered up the courage to literally just go and rush at the backliners, and sure I don't splat them, but my weapons reach far enough to hit them, which scares them and makes them move back, and every second the defense isn't looking is a second that you can use to push up.

On the other hand, I also saw what happens when frontliners are scared to push; the enemy team just becomes more confident in pushing us. I was in a game earlier where I was calling to my teammates to push (I was already rushing to enemy base), but none of the shooters came to me so I ended up being splatted in a 1v2 :c Looked back at the footage and saw my teammates generally staying in the same place; one had a bubbler up a little bit away from the enemies, and the player just stayed there in the bubbler probably because they were scared to get splatted. :c Guys, don't be afraid to get splatted when the odds of pushing are good! Yes, don't push alone if enemies outnumber you, but if you are with someone and outnumber the enemies, or you think you're in a better position than them, odds are you are likely to push!! So just do it!! And if you lose, that's okay! Not everything can be won, best you can do is learn from mistakes. <3

Anyway, watching splatoon 3 video has inspired me to keep on practicing. Been getting splatted a lot lately, but I think I've doing better building my confidence with using slayer weapons. c:

Splatoon thing I've just realized like right now. A lot of players are just generally scared to go up and get splatted.

I was watching a short video earlier on how having a team with more than one backliner isn't efficient for coordinated teams, but the reason why it works pretty well in solo queue is because many random players are generally just scared to go and push. Like, backliners are great defenses but poor offenders. And I've been realizing that a bit more when practicing in turf, backliners will tend to fumble or move away once you get close to them or start hitting them, and because their weapons are slow to fire, you're more likely to corner and splat them if you're just confident enough. I've been playing some slayer weapons recently (splatana wiper and carbon roller) and mustered up the courage to literally just go and rush at the backliners, and sure I don't splat them, but my weapons reach far enough to hit them, which scares them and makes them move back, and every second the defense isn't looking is a second that you can use to push up.

On the other hand, I also saw what happens when frontliners are scared to push; the enemy team just becomes more confident in pushing us. I was in a game earlier where I was calling to my teammates to push (I was already rushing to enemy base), but none of the shooters came to me so I ended up being splatted in a 1v2 :c Looked back at the footage and saw my teammates generally staying in the same place; one had a bubbler up a little bit away from the enemies, and the player just stayed there in the bubbler probably because they were scared to get splatted. :c Guys, don't be afraid to get splatted when the odds of pushing are good! Yes, don't push alone if enemies outnumber you, but if you are with someone and outnumber the enemies, or you think you're in a better position than them, odds are you are likely to push!! So just do it!! And if you lose, that's okay! Not everything can be won, best you can do is learn from mistakes. <3

Anyway, watching splatoon 3 video has inspired me to keep on practicing. Been getting splatted a lot lately, but I think I've doing better building my confidence with using slayer weapons. c:

Thanks for sharing! I think you’re right! I think I might need to balance it more or at least until I get my builds completed and more gear; I tend to be reckless as you have seen 😅. But I know what you mean. Ever since playing with @Aquilla who provided me some really helpful tips about not letting the other team trap us at our base. It happens a lot though because like you said, I think some people are afraid to push. I like to go for the enemy base regardless, but when I don’t see my team pushing and we’re stuck near our base, I try to get out and start busting out on their base or as far as I go.

I usually go offensive (or reckless) with tri-slosher. Gets me splatted a lot but as long as my K-D ratio is positive and I'm setting up em' sodas, I feel like I'm contributing to the rounds.

I feel it's much easier to push with someone with a longer ranger weapon, I usually go in front of them.

I think this is very valuable advice. There are some maps that especially punish you for not pushing. Generally maps that have very enclosed bases such as Mahi Mahi are very tricky if you don’t get out in the open quick enough. Once the enemy team arrives in front of your spawn it’s nearly impossible to break out and turn the tides, so maps with similar enclosed bases I just tend to try and get as far away from base as soon as possible. This works great if at least one other player comes along to push. I’ve had it happen that the rest of my team very diligently was painting every inch of the floor in the back and enemies trapping us there as a result.

Gonna try and play some more today. I still dont know everything and focus more on the 4 vs 4 standard game, while getting used to weapons and finding the right one for me.

Still not the best at splatting people but i do try. I get splatted the most haha.
I have a golden um card thing to buy weapons with but not using it until i figure out the best use for it.

I am more confident in say the double weapons (lol i didnt realise i had a secret move after a while too) just need more practice with other weapons. And focus on splatting areas and geting away sometimes (so many teams have good shot snipers :/ )

Thanks for sharing! I think you’re right! I think I might need to balance it more or at least until I get my builds completed and more gear; I tend to be reckless as you have seen 😅. But I know what you mean. Ever since playing with @Aquilla who provided me some really helpful tips about not letting the other team trap us at our base. It happens a lot though because like you said, I think some people are afraid to push. I like to go for the enemy base regardless, but when I don’t see my team pushing and we’re stuck near our base, I try to get out and start busting out on their base or as far as I go.

I usually go offensive (or reckless) with tri-slosher. Gets me splatted a lot but as long as my K-D ratio is positive and I'm setting up em' sodas, I feel like I'm contributing to the rounds.

I feel it's much easier to push with someone with a longer ranger weapon, I usually go in front of them.

I think this is very valuable advice. There are some maps that especially punish you for not pushing. Generally maps that have very enclosed bases such as Mahi Mahi are very tricky if you don’t get out in the open quick enough. Once the enemy team arrives in front of your spawn it’s nearly impossible to break out and turn the tides, so maps with similar enclosed bases I just tend to try and get as far away from base as soon as possible. This works great if at least one other player comes along to push. I’ve had it happen that the rest of my team very diligently was painting every inch of the floor in the back and enemies trapping us there as a result.
Thanks guys for chiming in!! Would love to hear more thoughts on the gameplay in general, would definitely benefit everyone :D <3

General rule to pushing is if you're more than the enemy team (e.g. a 4v3 fight), so I think it's best to stay not really far from each other just in case (unless it's Turf War, go ham, since turfing is the important thing there LOL). For example if you go alone, you're more likely to encounter 2+ enemies who can easily gang up on you. It's hard fighting 1v2 since your attention can only hold one enemy at a time and there is ink coming from two directions, unless it's a very narrow corridor. I think it's also okay to be 'reckless' to an extent, sort of a calculated (?) recklessness if that makes sense? Being on tacticooler soda boost which really boosts your respawn time means you can get splatted and jump right back in a fight almost immediately, plus your special charge doesn't revert back. Similar to what Dim said, as long as you plan your push with the tacticooler, there's little to lose if you're making a net positive. Seen videos where one player takes two enemies down before getting splatted, which is totally okay since trading 1 for 2 enemies is a net positive.

Admittedly though I do get unnecessarily reckless with some pushes, I really need to ditch the mindset that "I can do this on my own" when I really can't xD Had a game where I didn't check if I had back-up, so when I was trying to fight an enemy, they had a back-up near them and I got surrounded LOL. Big mistake on my part not to fall back and call for back-up.

As for being spawncamped, I uh don't know the solution to that yet LMAO. Haven't properly thought about it since I almost never get out once enemies spawncamp huhu. Trying to flank almost never works for me since at least one enemy can usually see where I'm going from spawn and the flank areas have most likely been inked in enemy ink, too.

TL;DR: You are meant to be splatted one way or another in Splatoon, so don't be afraid if odds are in your favor anyway. If we weren't meant to be splatted multiple times, we wouldn't make respawning a thing like in other PvP shooter games xD

whoops sorry i rambled LMAO

Gonna try and play some more today. I still dont know everything and focus more on the 4 vs 4 standard game, while getting used to weapons and finding the right one for me.

Still not the best at splatting people but i do try. I get splatted the most haha.
I have a golden um card thing to buy weapons with but not using it until i figure out the best use for it.

I am more confident in say the double weapons (lol i didnt realise i had a secret move after a while too) just need more practice with other weapons. And focus on splatting areas and geting away sometimes (so many teams have good shot snipers :/ )
We should play some day!!! <3 and omg that's okay, yesterday I was trying out new weapons and I couldn't get the hang of them and I just got splatted left and right without taking any enemy with me. xD But that's the way of life, we're never good with a new thing from the get-go. :D Just keep practicing, you'll get the hang of it!! If you need any help and want to play some time, let us know! :)

also join our anti-sniper alliance we have bonded over our shared grievances with snipers jk jk

Thanks guys for chiming in!! Would love to hear more thoughts on the gameplay in general, would definitely benefit everyone :D <3

General rule to pushing is if you're more than the enemy team (e.g. a 4v3 fight), so I think it's best to stay not really far from each other just in case (unless it's Turf War, go ham, since turfing is the important thing there LOL). For example if you go alone, you're more likely to encounter 2+ enemies who can easily gang up on you. It's hard fighting 1v2 since your attention can only hold one enemy at a time and there is ink coming from two directions, unless it's a very narrow corridor. I think it's also okay to be 'reckless' to an extent, sort of a calculated (?) recklessness if that makes sense? Being on tacticooler soda boost which really boosts your respawn time means you can get splatted and jump right back in a fight almost immediately, plus your special charge doesn't revert back. Similar to what Dim said, as long as you plan your push with the tacticooler, there's little to lose if you're making a net positive. Seen videos where one player takes two enemies down before getting splatted, which is totally okay since trading 1 for 2 enemies is a net positive.

Admittedly though I do get unnecessarily reckless with some pushes, I really need to ditch the mindset that "I can do this on my own" when I really can't xD Had a game where I didn't check if I had back-up, so when I was trying to fight an enemy, they had a back-up near them and I got surrounded LOL. Big mistake on my part not to fall back and call for back-up.

As for being spawncamped, I uh don't know the solution to that yet LMAO. Haven't properly thought about it since I almost never get out once enemies spawncamp huhu. Trying to flank almost never works for me since at least one enemy can usually see where I'm going from spawn and the flank areas have most likely been inked in enemy ink, too.

TL;DR: You are meant to be splatted one way or another in Splatoon, so don't be afraid if odds are in your favor anyway. If we weren't meant to be splatted multiple times, we wouldn't make respawning a thing like in other PvP shooter games xD

whoops sorry i rambled LMAO

We should play some day!!! <3 and omg that's okay, yesterday I was trying out new weapons and I couldn't get the hang of them and I just got splatted left and right without taking any enemy with me. xD But that's the way of life, we're never good with a new thing from the get-go. :D Just keep practicing, you'll get the hang of it!! If you need any help and want to play some time, let us know! :)

also join our anti-sniper alliance we have bonded over our shared grievances with snipers jk jk

I really appreciate you bringing this up and everything you said since reading this has already helped. 🙂 This all makes perfect sense. I will have to keep this in mind since in ranked matches I admit that I have been putting myself in situations where I’m being ganged up by more than one player when trying to push by myself 😅 just as I do in turf wars. I just don’t know how to get my team to push when I feel like they’re staying in our base too long (and letting us get trapped because of that).

That would be lovely~! It would be such fun to play with anyone here!
Testing the weapons have been really helpful, I didn't realise I could test out weapons that I still can't get due to my level! I do definitely enjoy the splatting game a lot more than others similar.
Thank you~ I'm hopin to try and play every so often so I am used to a few more skills and how groups work together. I do try and help someoen when I see them being cornered. I don't mind being splattered XD

I was wondering if anyone has tips on Salmon Run? Most of my runs, we never finish because we wipe and/or disconnects/rage quits. I have a hard time with a lot of the maps too (like i fall in the water a lot). Also, when more than one boss shows up at the same time, I kinda panic and have no idea which one to focus on and how not to die because of them firing all over the place.

I want to like salmon run, since it is fun when we don’t wipe 😅, but it really is a lot tougher than I expected it to be. I need to farm more chunks to complete my builds and I just found out that salmon run is the best way to get more chunks and I’ve been honestly avoiding it for a bit because I’m frustrated my runs all end in group wipes.

I was wondering if anyone has tips on Salmon Run? Most of my runs, we never finish because we wipe and/or disconnects/rage quits. I have a hard time with a lot of the maps too (like i fall in the water a lot). Also, when more than one boss shows up at the same time, I kinda panic and have no idea which one to focus on and how not to die because of them firing all over the place.

I want to like salmon run, since it is fun when we don’t wipe 😅, but it really is a lot tougher than I expected it to be. I need to farm more chunks to complete my builds and I just found out that salmon run is the best way to get more chunks and I’ve been honestly avoiding it for a bit because I’m frustrated my runs all end in group wipes.
Some general tips:

1. Use your specials, don't save them to the end. Specials save your teammates and clear the area. If you do wipeout, it's better to wipeout in Wave 3, because you don't lose your rank.

2. If you're the only player left, throw a bomb in the direction of your teammates. Even if you get splatted, the run doesn't end until the bomb explodes. If the bomb revives a teammate, they can help revive others or use their special.

3. Flyfish, Stinger and Big Shots are your worst enemies. If they enter early, make sure they go down especially the first two. These salmonids are the biggest perpetrators of team wipes.

4. Communication is your friend, use the d-pad if you're not in voice chat. Yeah, it's not perfect, but it does help.

5. Pay attention to where salmonids enter at the beginning of the wave. The first few keep coming out from there for a while into the wave, then the others start entering in different locations.

6. Explosher destroys Flyfish without needing bombs. So do the Grizzco weapons and some of the specials, like Wail, Kraken, Booyah Bomb. But I single out Explosher because it's a normal weapon that has a better chance of entering the rotation.

7. If it takes too long for you to destroy a salmonid with your weapon, move on to one that's easier. For example, I see a lot of people with the designated charger weapon trying to take out the Fish Stick. But usually, whatever charger that's in the rotation is too slow to take it down quickly (there are exceptions like Bamboo or Snipewriter). Better to leave that to the shooter, dualie or splatling player. If they're still not taking care of a nuisance, then go after it.

If anyone else has tips or comments on what I wrote, please share. I'm in EVP, but I do solo queue most of the time and that grind is agonizing. Hope these can help, if you haven't heard some of these already, Dunquixote.

Some general tips:

1. Use your specials, don't save them to the end. Specials save your teammates and clear the area. If you do wipeout, it's better to wipeout in Wave 3, because you don't lose your rank.

2. If you're the only player left, throw a bomb in the direction of your teammates. Even if you get splatted, the run doesn't end until the bomb explodes. If the bomb revives a teammate, they can help revive others or use their special.

3. Flyfish, Stinger and Big Shots are your worst enemies. If they enter early, make sure they go down especially the first two. These salmonids are the biggest perpetrators of team wipes.

4. Communication is your friend, use the d-pad if you're not in voice chat. Yeah, it's not perfect, but it does help.

5. Pay attention to where salmonids enter at the beginning of the wave. The first few keep coming out from there for a while into the wave, then the others start entering in different locations.

6. Explosher destroys Flyfish without needing bombs. So do the Grizzco weapons and some of the specials, like Wail, Kraken, Booyah Bomb. But I single out Explosher because it's a normal weapon that has a better chance of entering the rotation.

7. If it takes too long for you to destroy a salmonid with your weapon, move on to one that's easier. For example, I see a lot of people with the designated charger weapon trying to take out the Fish Stick. But usually, whatever charger that's in the rotation is too slow to take it down quickly (there are exceptions like Bamboo or Snipewriter). Better to leave that to the shooter, dualie or splatling player. If they're still not taking care of a nuisance, then go after it.

If anyone else has tips or comments on what I wrote, please share. I'm in EVP, but I do solo queue most of the time and that grind is agonizing. Hope these can help, if you haven't heard some of these already, Dunquixote.
Thanks so much and for taking the time to write that 🙂. That is very helpful!

I just finished completing everything in Side Order yesterday. All weapons, chips maxed, badges obtained etc.

Overall I quite liked and enjoyed Side Order, yes it has its flaws and isn’t as good overall as Octo Expansion in Splatoon 2 was, but it’s fun in its own right. Plus I like it when devs aren’t afraid to experiment and try something new. It helps keep things fresh.

Late reply, but I agree with calias in that the bosses that don't move far from the shore (stinger, flyfish, big shot) should be destroyed on sight. It will only be harder to reach them as the wave goes on and more little guys show up.

Also, something kind of related is "Luring," which is the technique of having mobile bosses chase you to the basket before defeating them. (Like, making a Steel Eel, Scrapper, or Maws that has it sights on you get close to the basket before attacking it) That will make it easier to get all of the eggs in. Not only does this save time, but there's less of a chance you or your teammates will get trapped/splatted by stray hits while running back and forth to the shore for eggs!

Steelheads and Drizzlers are kind of an in-between in terms of whether to Lure to the basket or not, usually I try to just kill drizzlers asap because the rain can be devastating.

Finally, I guess the only other advice I have is to try and get an idea as you play of what each weapon is good at, and what bosses/little salmons it can take down easily. Every weapon has advantages and disadvantages in terms of speed vs power, so each is good against different bosses. And some are VERY good for wiping out the crowds of little salmon, which can get in the way/become overwhelming if left unchecked.

Thanks so much for your time and for replying! 🙂 That is very helpful! I’ve already been trying to keep this in mind when doing salmon runs, but unfortunately, most of my salmon runs end up failing still. I feel like most of my groups really struggle with salmon runs. Not sure if there is anything to do about that even if and when I get the hang of it.

Thanks so much for your time and for replying! 🙂 That is very helpful! I’ve already been trying to keep this in mind when doing salmon runs, but unfortunately, most of my salmon runs end up failing still. I feel like most of my groups really struggle with salmon runs. Not sure if there is anything to do about that even if and when I get the hang of it.

If it helps you feel any better I’m at the top rank in Salmon Run and most definitely fail and struggle from time to time especially depending on the stage and weapon set combination. It’s totally normal especially when playing freelance with random people. I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

Actually the most recent set was brutal for me. Only cleared one wave and ranked down. It happens. I’ll try again next time and it will likely be better. :)

If it helps you feel any better I’m at the top rank in Salmon Run and most definitely fail and struggle from time to time especially depending on the stage and weapon set combination. It’s totally normal especially when playing freelance with random people. I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

Actually the most recent set was brutal for me. Only cleared one wave and ranked down. It happens. I’ll try again next time and it will likely be better. :)
Thanks so much for replying 🙂. The reason I asked is because I want to farm it more for the ability chunks, but am frustrated that my runs end up as failures most of the time. That makes me not want to queue up and do it at all, as much as I want to like the mode.

Back