How much wildlife do you see?

How many wild animals do you see on a regular basis?

• Some

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Rarely

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A lot

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters
i mostly see squirrels and different types of birds. (seagulls, vultures, an owl once, pelicans, ect) ive seen a deer once too. sometimes coyotes, raccoons and possums are spotted at night, but out of those I've only personally seen raccoons. bears are usually seen around here too but i haven't personally seen any either. i see stray cats a lot too, and sometimes I see armadillos

Tons of deer, squirrels, small birds and water fowl. Rabbits and predator birds are still common. Occasional armadillos, opossums, raccoons, and coyotes. Foxes are a rare sight. Unfortunately it seems like I'm seeing more roadkill than live animals lately, it makes me sad. A short drive east and we start seeing bald eagles.

Tons of deer, squirrels, small birds and water fowl. Rabbits and predator birds are still common. Occasional armadillos, opossums, raccoons, and coyotes. Foxes are a rare sight. Unfortunately it seems like I'm seeing more roadkill than live animals lately, it makes me sad. A short drive east and we start seeing bald eagles.
I LOVE eagles. I don’t see them in the wild unless I go out to a park (or watch the live eagle cams online), but I went to an eagle day thing near me where the people from a bird rescue showed us a harpy eagle, golden eagle, and bald eagle. They’re all so elegant and interesting!

I dunno, I've never seen your mom. Got'em.

nah but I don't actually see wildlife all that much. Occasionally when I'm driving I'll see some wild horses on the hills, but that's about it.

The first time I saw a coyote, it was winter and I thought, “That’s a dirty-looking dog.” But the way it looked at me, the colors of the fur…I figured it was wild. It ran into the woods and I asked my mom about it. It was a coyote, something I’d never seen before.

Also, hearing foxes scream at night can be scary. They sound like humans being tortured. (Sorry, that’s the best way I can describe it.)

Coyotes are creepy at night too. The first time I heard one outside it sounded like a girl screaming.

vultures.jpeg

We would sometimes get these vultures on our deck too. These are huge in person and absolutely intimating.

Aside from the typical Canadian suburban animals you'd expect (squirrels, geese, rabbits, etc.) I've seen coyotes, possums, deer and turkeys. Turkeys were only once and it was pretty unexpected; we looked out the window into our backyard and there were three giant ones walking around. We were so surprised/excited that we took pictures!

If I'm outside, which is quite a bit. I mainly see birds, bugs, rabbits, or squirrels. I sometimes see deers, groundhogs, or even foxes. I have yet to encounter a skunk, thankfully. It's certainly not that I don't like them, but I fear of getting sprayed by one. I used to have a bit of a phobia with it whenever I went out at night.

on a daily basis i see squirrels and various birds, on a less frequent basis i sometimes see rabbits in the backyard when the weather is nicer. we had a racoon living up in the space underneath the roof between the ceiling last year 😵 i didn't get a chance to see it but the entrance it was using to get in was sealed when it left one day and it never came back. this past weekend i saw a lone wild turkey walking in the neighbourhood! i've seen them around the area before but never too close to home

i just moved to the city from a rural community, and i’ve only ever seen coyotes and rabbits (after moving). i used to see bears, wolverines, wolves, and foxes quite frequently, but i’ve barely encountered anything during the past few months of living here.

Last edited:
on a daily basis i see squirrels and various birds, on a less frequent basis i sometimes see rabbits in the backyard when the weather is nicer. we had a racoon living up in the space underneath the roof between the ceiling last year 😵 i didn't get a chance to see it but the entrance it was using to get in was sealed when it left one day and it never came back. this past weekend i saw a lone wild turkey walking in the neighbourhood! i've seen them around the area before but never too close to home
Wow! Did you hear the raccoon scratching through the ceiling?

i don't see that many besides the usual birds and squirrels, but i recently saw a whole fox on our street!!!! it got so close to us too before it disappeared into the night. i've seen raccoons and bunnies before too, but not so much recently </3

Wow! Did you hear the raccoon scratching through the ceiling?

yes! it wouldn’t really make much noise during the day, but i’m not sure if that’s when it’d leave or maybe be sleeping. but it could definitely be heard at night! to the point i was so worried that it’d eventually bust through the ceiling. it made its way in by damaging one of the wind turbines on the roof that i assume is connected a vent or some empty space between the ceiling and the roof. it was definitely a worrisome/scary thing to go through 😭

I tend to see squirrels, rabbits and various types of birds around; small birds making nests, Canada geese, crows, ravens, seagulls, the occasional eagle or hawk. Also see cats but I assume most of them are pets rather than wild.

As for insects, plenty of bees, butterflies, etc. Annoyingly get the occasional fly sneaking in from outside in the Summer months that I have to kill.

On the uncommon occasion, I see deer. A year or so ago I was taking an evening walk and saw three deer just walking across the lawns of the houses across the street.

Back during the height of COVID-19 lockdowns in 2020 I saw a wolf or something that was just wandering around.

Oh, and one time I saw some sort of crane flying around a nearby neighborhood. I assume it escaped from a zoo or something.

I tend to see squirrels, rabbits and various types of birds around; small birds making nests, Canada geese, crows, ravens, seagulls, the occasional eagle or hawk. Also see cats but I assume most of them are pets rather than wild.

As for insects, plenty of bees, butterflies, etc. Annoyingly get the occasional fly sneaking in from outside in the Summer months that I have to kill.

On the uncommon occasion, I see deer. A year or so ago I was taking an evening walk and saw three deer just walking across the lawns of the houses across the street.

Back during the height of COVID-19 lockdowns in 2020 I saw a wolf or something that was just wandering around.

Oh, and one time I saw some sort of crane flying around a nearby neighborhood. I assume it escaped from a zoo or something.
When I first saw a heron, I was shocked. It came out of the creek— a big, bony, soaring bird like a pterodactyl. I didn’t realize what it was until it landed. I see this particular Great Blue Heron around my local park. (though I’ve seen a Cormorant and Green Heron before) Blue herons hunt slowly, but I’ve seen them eat fish before.

One day I was filming it at the park, and it turned around, faced me, and squawked loudly. 😳I stopped filming and left shortly after that lol.

I usually only encounter birds, rats, cats and dogs. Bats if you're up at dawn. There's the butterflies, moths, dragonflies, caterpillars, earthworms, bees, spiders, snails, frogs. Sometimes there's chicken. Very rarely geese. There's also crows and herons but I rarely see them. Snakes can be a surprise. I only every saw a hummingbird in the wild twice.

Back