Splatoon I'm new to Splatoon. Any advice before I get started?

BobRocks20

Wowzers!
Bells
Switch
0557-5119-2409
Pink Hybrid Rose
Blue Hybrid Violet
Rotating Fool's Egg
Apple (Fruit)
Cake
March Birthstone (Aquamarine)
Hi! I'm new to Splatoon and I haven't even gotten my hands on one of the games yet but I'm interested now because I've noticed that a lot of people here enjoy the games. Do you have any heads-up advice for a newcomer, like what to look out for and stuff? Thanks in advance!

I’m still new to Splatoon myself.

I asked a similar question on page 2 of the general discussion thread; you might want to check that out if you haven’t already. 🙂 That has been super helpful to me.

Most important one is to have fun and don’t be discouraged if you lose a lot. I lose a lot but I have fun still; it does get frustrating though. I take a step back and do a different mode or a short break if it gets to that point.

Don’t be afraid to try different weapons. I’m doing that and I keep finding more weapons I like 🙂. And trying them out not just in one match is how you get better. I didn’t think I’d like the inkbrush nouveau or any of them at first but the more I tried it, the more comfortable I got using it.

I want to warn you that Salmon run and the dlc are very hard. Take a break from salmon run if you get frustrated; that’s what I’ve been doing. 🙂

Heads up: disconnects happen a lot it seems and sometimes cost teams games. They also happen in salmon runs.

I’m still learning about the traits for equipment and if it is better to stack some of the same trait on gear or have different traits. I think it depends on weapon you’re using (correct me though if I’m wrong).

Story mode helps you learn the mechanics and some weapons too so don’t forget to try it out too; no pressure ofc. 🙂 I did a mix of that and multiplayer and that helped speed up the process on adjusting to controls and such.

I would definitely play/beat the single-player campaign: The Crater, before jumping into Turf War/Anarchy modes. You'll explore the entire roster of weapons and get familiar different bombs/specials.

After that, I'd try to figure out what type of play style you'd feel comfortable as and master it before branching out to another style. It helps to go into Recon and learn the maps for both Turf and Anarchy modes. This goes alongside with exploring which weapon works best with you and same with customizing gear with abilities.

I also like to watch my battle replays to learn my weaknesses and I even find watching the enemy's POV really helpful. It can give you new ways to use a certain weapon or how they were so successful in the battle.

For Salmon Run, the callouts are vital to use imo, especially if you're playing with strangers. Listen to someone who calls out "This Way" and use "Help" if you do get killed. It's important to stay together and not to panic.

Hi (future!!) new player!! 🤝 YIPPEE our little community grows ~

First of all, enjoy and have fun!! Splatoon is a pretty competitive game since it’s mostly a PvP, but don’t get discouraged if you’re not good from the get-go! It definitely took me months before getting a good grasp of the game hehe. Been said already, but going throug story mode will help you immensely in familiarizing yourself with the game and mechanics!

Also very fun to try different weapons! Shooters are your best friends very early in the game since they’re easy to learn, but Splatoon has a wide variety of different weapons which is its charm! You don’t have to force yourself to one class of weapon if you feel you’re struggling with it. I’ve had lots of fun playing non-shooter weapons such as the splatana and roller hehe. :] Good to know the different weapons too especially when studying your enemy team at the intro, for example I’m mostly a midrange weapon user and have to stand for long periods of time witn my weapon, so enemy weapons like snipers are those I definitely have to watch out for because if I’m not careful, I can be standing around for a long period of time and the sniper will snipe me 🙈

Doubling down on watching game replays too!! You can both study where you went wrong and/or where your enemy went right. I’ve definitely learned some things from watching others, which has enhanced my gameplay! Things like sharking can get frustrating, but remember that you can do that too and spook the other team!!

A little advanced advice, if you do want to get good a little faster, play with motion control 😉 Veeeery steep learning curve, but I promise you it’s the more ideal way to play Splatoon based on what I’ve read (and experienced)! Granted, you’re still very free to use stick motions if you really don’t like motion control, some players have had more success with stick controls :]

Excited for you to get your copy of Splatoon, we should play someday!! 🥹🤝

Last edited:
Echoing the sentiment of "don't get discouraged if you aren't good right away" because this is a hard game especially for a newcomer! It could be frustrating (I get frustrated at losses easily sometimes LOL) so what's worked for me is just, if u feel like ur not having fun anymore just take a break instead of brute forcing it. Simplest most obvious advice in the world, I know, but it's easy to forget if you have a goal like trying to rank up, or level up, etc etc etc

Even if you have to step away for a little while, just playing the game regularly will make you miles better. Since March this year I've actually been trying to play Splatoon routinely, and the improvement in both my skill and how much I enjoy the game is super noticeable! So uh, yeah, if you do (did?????) get the game, remember to keep at it and you'll be good and winning games sooner than u would think!

My other advice: use the range blaster, it's fun hee hee

Back