• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Pokémon Share Your Shiny Pokémon Stories and Screenshots

I don't have any shinies yet in Sword. I will give the masuda method a shot since it's faster to hatch eggs now. The shinies I have gotten from random encounters in previous games are Marill, Horsea, Gothorita, Machop, and Diglett.

Don't have any local friends with the game? Or even a local community to reach out to? You can totally trade locally with people even if you don't have a Switch Online Subscription. Even if you can't connect with someone enough to complete the dex even just trading with someone locally who does have online for a different language Pokemon would be worth it as the shiny rate for Masuda Method is 1/683 without the charm vs 1/512 with. It's a lot less worth it for wild encounters though as it's 1/4096 without the charm and 1/1365 with.

No matter what you end up doing I wish you luck. Worst case scenario an online subscription is fairly cheap all things considered.

Sorry, just saw this, thank you! The only person I know irl who plays Pok?mon games also has Shield, so we have the same exclusives, unfortunately. I'll probably buy the subscription once NH comes out, so maybe I'll try to finish my Pok?dex then and shiny hunt a bit.

wow ultra short Sinistea hunt (postponed jangmo-o while I tried to decide if I wanted it special or physical lol looks like it was for the best :0) thought my luck was in but it's also without HA, ugh. -_- Really tempted to re-breed this one, I haaaaate Weak Armor.

fCtjGex.jpg

dVAAK5b.jpg

Congrats on the shinies!! The same thing happened to me with sinistea, weak armour is awful :( I'm tempted to re-breed it as well and then trade off the original

Congrats on the shinies!! The same thing happened to me with sinistea, weak armour is awful :( I'm tempted to re-breed it as well and then trade off the original

Thank you! : D Aw man, at least I'm not the only one hahah I ended up googling some movesets for Polteageist to see some sets that use Weak Armor to make myself feel better.. Lol ;.; I'll go with it for now but ya, almost certainly gonna come back to it later for another shot at that Cursed Body shiny!

I have too much free time. :)

I got my shiny Morpeko in egg 626 - named Stitch after Stitch (experiment 626) from Lilo & Stitch
Shiny Snom at 584 eggs, too bad it missed the HA though! D:
Shiny wooloo at 197 eggs

I’m taking a break from eggs for a bit!

Edit : I lied lol. Shiny Toxel in 16 eggs.

Last edited:
After 868 eggs for toxel I took a moment to hatch a meowth for a trade and ended up getting a shiny on my first go. I had planned to go for him next so I'm glad to get it, unfortunately it ended up not being in the ball I preferred (this guy's in a heavy ball, was planning to hatch in a moon ball) and he didn't inherit the HA. He has tough claws instead, which isn't bad and I don't mind the heavy ball so I'm still really glad overall! Back to the toxel grind now lol

OPmYBrT.png

ohpGVDG.jpg

I CAN FINALLY HAVE MY LIFE BACK T.T

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's honestly kind of a shame to evolve it, Jangmo-O is so frikkin cute when it's shiny. Big heart on its head. <3

After 868 eggs for toxel I took a moment to hatch a meowth for a trade and ended up getting a shiny on my first go. I had planned to go for him next so I'm glad to get it, unfortunately it ended up not being in the ball I preferred (this guy's in a heavy ball, was planning to hatch in a moon ball) and he didn't inherit the HA. He has tough claws instead, which isn't bad and I don't mind the heavy ball so I'm still really glad overall! Back to the toxel grind now lol

OPmYBrT.png

Omg I need this shiny version :eek: i’m going to put him on my hunt list!

Omg I need this shiny version :eek: i?m going to put him on my hunt list!

You totally should! It's a nice shiny and a great pokemon, really cracks me up seeing him run around since his hair is like a beard and the back part of him is just naked meowth :D

Finally got my shiny toxel after a long hunt, ~1500 with masuda! Has static instead of HA unfortunately but idm too much! Next up I'm gonna do sinistea again to see if I can get one with cursed body, and then my shiny dream team will be complete!
Lce9YDk.png

You guys managed to hatch some pretty great shinies!

To those using the Masuda method, do you also try to get Pok?mon with good IVs, natures and HAs, or do you just breed random Pok?mon until you get a shiny? I was thinking of trying this method out but I don't know if the standard practice is to start with "parents" that have good IVs, HAs and so on.

Last edited:
Someone link traded me my dream pokemon on Sun, a shiny dedenne who goes by the name 'Jaffa Cake'. If anything happened to him, i'd erase my whole save file. I've become attached to him lol

Last edited:

To those using the Masuda method, do you also try to get Pok?mon with good IVs, natures and HAs, or do you just breed random Pok?mon until you get a shiny? I was thinking of trying this method out but I don't know if the standard practice is to start with "parents" that have good IVs, HAs and so on.

I've been aiming to get better IVs before hardcore breeding, although sometimes I can't always get the nature I want so I plan on changing a lot of them later on with capsules if applicable. I'm breeding for bounsweet right now and I've narrowed it down so the shiny will definitely be 5IV at least, although I've gotten a box filled with 6IVs already but no shiny luck u_u

For me, good IVs and HAs are a bonus but not a necessity, since with shiny odds already being so low, the added RNG would drive me crazy I think. I am breeding using a 6IV ditto and then the 2nd parent is generally a pokemon with HA and good IVs to give myself a chance at the result being as good as possible, but in the end I am happy to just have a shiny! The only situation where I am re-breeding for a 2nd shiny after the first one has the "wrong" stats is when the non-HA ability it is born with is one I really dislike like weak armour.

Yeah, I always try to breed Pokemon with good IVs, natures, and the competitive ability. Usually I just need to hope my shiny hatches with the HA if HA is needed, otherwise if the ability needed for the Pokemon is just the regular two abilities, I feel much safer since I can just use an ability capsule to change it haha!

I actually just started getting into breeding thanks to Sword & Shield. A good way to start breeding Pokemon with high IVs is to have a 5 or 6 (preferred) Foreign IV Ditto and having the parent of the pokemon you want to breed at 5-6IV as well. If both parents are 6 IVs then it's pretty much guaranteed for the egg to hatch into 5IV. Usually if I start off with a low IV Pokemon, I'll just breed it with ditto and wait until I hatch a better IV then swap it out and continue the process until I get the 5IV one. Only scary part about this is if you end up hatching a shiny during this process : 'D (Though if you don't care about IVs, then it doesn't matter. In the end it really doesn't matter too much since there's bottle caps now, but I prefer seeing as less "Hyper Trained" text in my IVs as possible hahaha)

I'm also starting to try to breed competitive Pokemon with their right/needed natures so I don't need to use mints on them! I use smogon to help decide what pokemon nature I need to breed with. Smogon is a really good site to see a Pokemon's moveset/Ability used or needed/etc.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your replies!

Yeah, I always try to breed Pokemon with good IVs, natures, and the competitive ability. Usually I just need to hope my shiny hatches with the HA if HA is needed, otherwise if the ability needed for the Pokemon is just the regular two abilities, I feel much safer since I can just use an ability capsule to change it haha!

I actually just started getting into breeding thanks to Sword & Shield. A good way to start breeding Pokemon with high IVs is to have a 5 or 6 (preferred) Foreign IV Ditto and having the parent of the pokemon you want to breed at 5-6IV as well. If both parents are 6 IVs then it's pretty much guaranteed for the egg to hatch into 5IV. Usually if I start off with a low IV Pokemon, I'll just breed it with ditto and wait until I hatch a better IV then swap it out and continue the process until I get the 5IV one. Only scary part about this is if you end up hatching a shiny during this process : 'D (Though if you don't care about IVs, then it doesn't matter. In the end it really doesn't matter too much since there's bottle caps now, but I prefer seeing as less "Hyper Trained" text in my IVs as possible hahaha)

I'm also starting to try to breed competitive Pokemon with their right/needed natures so I don't need to use mints on them! I use smogon to help decide what pokemon nature I need to breed with. Smogon is a really good site to see a Pokemon's moveset/Ability used or needed/etc.

I currently have a 4IV JPN Ditto someone gifted me a while ago, but I guess I'll have to get myself a foreign 5IV Ditto eventually. I'm also trying to get into the competitive side of Pok?mon and I've been using Smogon quite often, especially to figure out the best way to distribute EVs. Your reply was really helpful, thank you! Hope you get a bunch of great shinies!

Finally got my first shiny in Shield! It took 187 eggs (Senses Fail vibes intensifies)
paNizW9.jpg

Finally got my first shiny in Shield! It took 187 eggs (Senses Fail vibes intensifies)
paNizW9.jpg

One of my personal favorites! I'm currently hunting for a shiny Drilbur, Dreepy might be my next hunt.

Back