Purple Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Yellow Balloon
Perfect Apple
New Leaf Token
Perfect Cherry
Pink Balloon
So recently I have have villagers ask to change their catchphrase. I then proceed to do this. I change Ankha's to "Anubus", Willow's to "darling" and Lyman's to "Mate". Then a few days later, I talk to Shari and she uses the catchphrase "darling" even though I never changed hers. Then I talk to Marshal, and he used the catchphrase "Mate" even though I still never changed his. Is this a glitch in which villagers are also using other villagers catchphrases even though I never gave them that phrase. If so, has this happened to you?

Not a glitch! Villagers will steal each others custom catchphrases all the time. It's unfortunate given how fast it spreads.

You can reset the catchphrases at Isabelle. Villagers will never steal each others default phrases. I've had to purge all my catchphrases multiple times when everyone was saying the same thing.​

This is not a glitch... I wish it was
I even witnessed conversations between them when they asked if they could use the catchphrase
It only seems to happen with the ones you changed tho. But you can always complain to isabelle and reverse that

This is why I never give them catch phrases. I do allow them to give nicknames to me or I'll do greetings, but not catch phrases.

I let Bam say "dude" and then saw him talking to another villager later on in the day. I interacted with both of them to see what ehy were talking about and the other villager says, "Wow, you say dude a lot, can I say it too?" and Bam said yes, and now they both say dude....a lot!

In this game, there are a lot of things going on between villagers that we don't see or hear.

Oh, that's going to be unfortunate... There is a single villager I want to change the catchphrase of, and I hope it doesn't spread to the other villagers since I specifically want just one character to have something that isn't default. If it only happens with villagers who you've previously changed, though, that's good.

Is this a glitch?
I went to Isabelle to reset the catchphrase, which worked and defaulted their catchphrase. But now
when I catch my villagers chatting with each other, the conversation where they try to say the other villager's catchphrase will still pop up. For example, Cheri wanted to say "Crisp" like Raymond, but just said her own catchphrase. Zucker had the same problem with the same villager. Could it be that Raymond's conversation is glitched? Or what?

Did you change Raymond's catchphrase back to crisp? It doesn't matter if it's the same as his default--if you type it in, it can and will spread. The only way they don't spread is if you tell them their default catchphrase is fine.

Oh, that's going to be unfortunate... There is a single villager I want to change the catchphrase of, and I hope it doesn't spread to the other villagers since I specifically want just one character to have something that isn't default. If it only happens with villagers who you've previously changed, though, that's good.

If you change the catchphrase it will spread to other villagers, regardless of whether you have changed their default. I have had villagers adopt new catchphrases within 48 hrs of moving to my island.

If you change the catchphrase it will spread to other villagers, regardless of whether you have changed their default. I have had villagers adopt new catchphrases within 48 hrs of moving to my island.
Ahh, unfortunate... Well, I'll keep that in mind!

I made catch phrase 'Oink-Oink' for Gala (pig). It is really strange when Marina (octopus) or Cranky (rhino) says 'Oink-Oink'.
I really see that this is not a feature but a bug! Villagers ask you for a permission to call you with a specific name, why don't they ask about catch phrase then? Really annoying thing.
Please, don't protect this bug and let it be fixed! Because I set custom catch phrases for specific villager, so it should stay like that. Or at least villagers should ask me if they can take someone else's catch phrase.
Furthermore, there should be possibility to reset these settings, but it's not so critical.

Thank you.

Yeah I think its best do not give your villagers custom catchpharses because they can pass it around to other villagers like a virus. The only way to stop the spread is to talk to Isabelle and pick discuss villager and select the way they talk. So that way they will revert back to their original catchpharse. Its annoying how it gets passed around.

Yeah I think its best do not give your villagers custom catchpharses because they can pass it around to other villagers like a virus. The only way to stop the spread is to talk to Isabelle and pick discuss villager and select the way they talk. So that way they will revert back to their original catchpharse. Its annoying how it gets passed around.
You mean, I need to ignore whole part of AC functionality?... I just want to make it work like it should. Because it's impossible to communicate Isabelle every time I see that problem. This workaround also sounds strange and very ineffective... :) It's so much fun to use it when it works like it should :)

You mean, I need to ignore whole part of AC functionality?... I just want to make it work like it should. Because it's impossible to communicate Isabelle every time I see that problem. This workaround also sounds strange and very ineffective... :) It's so much fun to use it when it works like it should :)
I understand why you don’t like it, but it’s not a bug. Nintendo probably wanted to simulate the way that in real life, if you hang around someone a lot and they use a word or phrase regularly, you’re more likely to pick it up too. It makes the game feel more like a village life sim and less like a dollhouse, which was the original intent of the series. I like that it implies that the villagers talk and interact without their every breath being moderated by me. It can certainly lead to some weird outcomes, though!

I understand why you don’t like it, but it’s not a bug. Nintendo probably wanted to simulate the way that in real life, if you hang around someone a lot and they use a word or phrase regularly, you’re more likely to pick it up too. It makes the game feel more like a village life sim and less like a dollhouse, which was the original intent of the series. I like that it implies that the villagers talk and interact without their every breath being moderated by me. It can certainly lead to some weird outcomes, though!

I agree with this so much, I can’t resist jumping in. Even though the outcome can be silly (wade has recently picked up the catchphrase ‘woof’ from one of my dog villagers, and meanwhile they’ve both moved on to new catchphrases, it is absurd) - the feature is very much working as designed.

Though the results can be silly, there’s really no harm to the game play caused by them picking up each other’s catch phrases. I like that I don’t have absolute control, and I like imagining they have little conversations when I am not there. From a game perspective too, I think it is good to not be able to control every little detail of the experience. It keeps things interesting.

Back