• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Pokémon When do you think Pokémon will end?

When do you think Pokémon will end?

• 9th Generation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10th Generation

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 11th Generation

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 12th Generation

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Some time after 12th Generation

Votes: 34 32.4%
  • They will stop making new species, but the franchise still lives on

Votes: 66 62.9%

• Total voters
There's no way Pokemon ends anytime soon, and probably not in the next 20, 30 or even 50 years. Think about it like this... it's one of the largest franchises in the world, has been around for 25 years, and is still going as strong as ever.

The main video game series releases a new game(s) every year, and sells 10-20 million copies per generation. In total, they sell around $1 billion worth of video games each year.

The card game has also been around for 20+ years, and while it slowed down in the mid-2000s/2010s, the TCG is also selling as much product as it ever has been the last few years.

The anime & manga have also been around since the 90s, with new seasons/volumes coming out every year. While not as big as the games or cards in terms of $$, it's another way to attract new fans to the franchise.

On top of all that, the majority of Pokemon's revenue doesn't actually come from video games, trading cards, or manga & anime... it's from other merchandise. Tshirts, action figures, backpacks, notebooks, collectibles, etc... over $60 billion sold in the lifetime of Pokemon. Licensed merchandise is basically printing money for Nintendo/GF/Creatures... there's no way this will stop anytime soon.

Never. And I don't think they'll stop making new Pokemon either.

They might make less and less each time...but they won't stop entirely.

Never. And I don't think they'll stop making new Pokemon either.

They might make less and less each time...but they won't stop entirely.
I agree with this, I never see the franchise fulling dying or new pokemon completely stopping being introduced especially since they still try to appeal to younger generations (who will likely already be introduced to pokemon by older generation members who grew up on the games)

I actually don't think that they'll ever stop making Pokemon games. On a side note, I do wish they would cater to older fans (I think majority of people who play Pokemon are actually older anyway since they grew up with it).

I strongly doubt that Pokemon will ever end. Pokemon is such a huge franchise that it can basically keep going forever. Even if they run out of ideas for new Pokemon, they'll still keep chugging along.

Pokemon will end l bet because they're running out of ideas and maybe in 70 years later it will end. Anyways something that is super popular and it lasted so long will die out. I'm sure there will be a better show than Pokemon in the future that will be in the spotlight and not Pokèmon anymore. Same with games, they have the problems too. Pokèmon games can still be popular when they're not counting the generations.

I wouldn’t say Pokémon will ever end. I think they have to stop creating new species though. They are eventually going to run out of ideas. Some people who have liked Pokémon since the first generation are going to be disappointed. Pokémon did get drastically worse after Sinnoh. Johto was my favorite, but I’m clearly biased. I think they will keep creating games. I’d say they should make new regions, but keep older Pokémon. I’d love to explore a new region with all of my favorites from Johto, using my starting Pokémon, Totodile! I don’t know how likely that scenario is, so I guess we’ll just have to see.

I honestly feel like it would take an apocalypse or at least complete restructuring of society to end a franchise that major.
no kidding

they keep it on coming to get that money money. I think they will stop when the series is old news and when they can't think of any new Pokèmon ideas.

I think it will get to a point where they stop making these "Mainline" games and instead focus on other "spin-offs" like the Let's Go games and Pokemon Legends. I imagine it will get to a point where it's hard to design new Pokemon, storylines and regions but will instead make games in other ways to to the populariry and selling point of the franchise

If they do stop making consoles games (and keep on soley in the mobile market), I'd hope they'd still allow internet connectivity for trading, battles, etc.

Just because something ceases being new, doesn't mean it has to cease to be.

Pokémon did get drastically worse after Sinnoh.

Tell me about it :cry: I was playing it since Gen 1 and thoroughly enjoyed all the gens up until Gen 5. Let me say, I loved Black&White and was anxiously awaiting the typically improved third game that would have been Pokémon Grey... and instead we got Black2&White2.
Really, for a game that was supposed to be a rip-off of the originals, my disappointment was massive. Things I liked were removed, and things that bothered me were added. This is when I stopped playing and abandoned the franchise, never to return.
And then, when Gen 6 came around and I saw how it was going to be... I greatly congratulated myself for leaving in time, while Pokémon was still something I liked. I guess that I got too old to keep up with the awful newer generations.

p.s. Gen4/Sinnoh/Platinum are my faves of the whole franchise.

I do think the franchise will end someday, but it's hard to say when—probably still at least a good couple decades out. Pokemon is still going strong right now and I imagine they're going to try and keep it that way for as long as they can, but I think the interest and popularity will probably start to wane eventually. There will probably always be fans of the series, of course, but when numbers start steadily decreasing, they'll probably put less and less into Pokemon, and more into whatever future franchise of theirs has taken off. I imagine it'll fade out slowly from there.
Although once the franchise goes quiet for a time, the door opens up to possibly-questionable reboots.

Too big of a series for it to just die. However, it's obvious they're losing creativity with pokemon and putting less effort into the games, so I expect it to last a few more generations, but after that will just be spin off games (like Arceus) and remasters/remakes of games.

Not in the near future. It's a giant cash cow. For some reason I see this same question coming up more for Pokemon than I see it for any other franchise.

Back