• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Where is Barold, why do I keep getting Sherb, and can I trade Marina in the future?

RosasMom

Bells
Hi! I just started playing AC after watching my daughter play for about a year. I'm starting my own little village so we researched all of the possibilities for my starters and I really want Barold for my lazy villager (don't judge!). I have been to 25 islands so far and have met a ton of cute villagers that would probably make a ton of people really happy, but I want Barold! Where the heck is Barold? And why have I come across Sherb THREE TIMES so far when he is supposed to be rare?

Also, I invited Marina thinking that if I didn't like her, I could trade her later since she seems to be popular, but now I think I was mistaken. You can't actually trade villagers can you? I think the best I could do is if she ever wants to move out, I could come on here or somewhere similar and trade with someone else who has a villager who is also "in boxes" at that moment. We would have to go to each other's villages and meet the villager and invite them. Is this correct? Has anyone done this or something similar?

Part 2 of that question is, can I un-invite her now that I have buyer's remorse? I doubt it since the game is now only showing me peppy and lazy villagers at the islands, so it doesn't look like I can meet another normal, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

Lastly, how long will the game wait for me to invite villagers before it just starts moving people in? Tom Nook told me to place a bridge but I haven't done that yet. I was going to wait until I found my 3 choices and invite them but now I'm getting nervous that there is a limit to how long the game will wait.

Thanks!! :)

Regarding Barold's absence and seeing Sherb so many times, it's just bad luck. I've been in the same boat in the past. I had to keep visiting Nook Miles Islands for like a couple weeks to find the Lazy I wanted, Tucker. I can't speak to the mechanics behind why there are certain villagers who will repeatedly show up as I'm not sure myself, but I did experience it; I saw Sherb and Zucker numerous times. Having experienced this situation, I wouldn't blame you if you lost patience with it entirely as it's very annoying, but if you keep at it you will eventually persevere. Barold could be your next encounter or he could be like 50 or more from now but you will eventually see him since you're just encountering Lazies and Peppies. If you really wanted to just sidestep the annoyance entirely, you could settle on a different Lazy, get Barold's amiibo card off of eBay or somewhere else, and scan him into your eventual campsite via the kiosk in the Resident Services building for three days and he'll ask to move in. This method might appeal to you if you happen to like what his house's interior looks like; the two starting villagers have basic homes and the three initial Peppy, Normal, and Lazy villagers all have predetermined houses based on their personality, whereas everyone past that point has their own personal interior design. This matter can be remedied through the remodeling you can unlock via the Happy Home Paradise DLC, but yeah, just something to consider.

As for Sherb being rare? None of the villagers are "rare." Sherb's new to the series as of this game and he has high desirability between that and his design having appeal to people, but anyone can get any villager with either enough time and dedication, currency (in-game bells, Nook Miles tickets, or this forum's TBT currency) to purchase from someone else, or from owning their amiibo card and just scanning them in.

Regarding Marina, you are correct that villagers have to be moving out and in boxes for other people to be able to adopt them from you. Theoretically you could trade in the way you mentioned, though personally it seems like a hassle to do it that way. I've always handled moveouts and adoptions separately; you just have to line things up right with the other person. Honestly though, I can't really speak to this in New Horizons. I last adopted villagers in New Leaf and have relied on amiibos for New Horizons because I hated the randomness of the Nook Miles Islands too much. Someone else more familiar with villager trading can tackle this. You can handle such things here on the forums in the New Neighbor Network section. Also, no, now that you've chosen her, you're stuck with her until she moves out.

As for the third matter, from Nookipedia:
After the player has placed the Housing Kits and before they have provided the requested furniture, villagers start to appear on Mystery Island Tours, where they can be invited to move to the player's island. During this time, only lazy, normal, and peppy villagers can appear on Mystery Island Tours, and once an invite is made, no more villagers of that personality will appear. These villagers will move in once per day in the order they were invited. If the player does not invite three villagers from Mystery Island Tours before providing the plots' requested furniture, a random villager will move in once per day in the order of the house plot number.
If I recall correctly, as it's been nearly two years since I did it and had no real reason to retain the information, I think what I did was wait until I chose my three villagers from the Nook Miles Islands before placing the plots down anywhere. Thus I was free to keep attempting for Tucker without worrying about someone else showing up. But from the looks of this, I guess so long as you don't put down the furniture, you're afforded the same luxury. So, you can take as long as you need.

Thank you so much for the thorough response!
That's a really good point about the starting houses. My daughter got Frita as her starting sisterly villager, which is awesome because Frita is simply amazing but it is so sad to see her dreadful little starter house interior, especially knowing that she could be in a cute diner. My daughter got the Home Designer ad-on just to fix this issue. lol

I'm actually not sure if I do want Barold's "real" house. All those monitors are a little weird. So, this means I really should try to get him through the islands first so that he can have a house that isn't quite so creepy. haha! Who knows, maybe I'll get Dotty in the meantime (my peppy choice).

I came across Rio and almost invited her because she is very pretty, but her eye shape threw me off. When she walks away from you, it looks like she's giving you a snarky side-eye. I have 2 kids that are or will be going through their teen years. I don't need any additional attitude coming from my video games thank you very much. :LOL:;)

YAAAAAAAAY ANOTHER BAROLD FAN THANK YOU SO MUUUUUCH!!!!!!!

I can give Barold to you, if you want, he'll be leaving soon.

Hi! I just started playing AC after watching my daughter play for about a year. I'm starting my own little village so we researched all of the possibilities for my starters and I really want Barold for my lazy villager (don't judge!). I have been to 25 islands so far and have met a ton of cute villagers that would probably make a ton of people really happy, but I want Barold! Where the heck is Barold? And why have I come across Sherb THREE TIMES so far when he is supposed to be rare?

Also, I invited Marina thinking that if I didn't like her, I could trade her later since she seems to be popular, but now I think I was mistaken. You can't actually trade villagers can you? I think the best I could do is if she ever wants to move out, I could come on here or somewhere similar and trade with someone else who has a villager who is also "in boxes" at that moment. We would have to go to each other's villages and meet the villager and invite them. Is this correct? Has anyone done this or something similar?

Part 2 of that question is, can I un-invite her now that I have buyer's remorse? I doubt it since the game is now only showing me peppy and lazy villagers at the islands, so it doesn't look like I can meet another normal, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

Lastly, how long will the game wait for me to invite villagers before it just starts moving people in? Tom Nook told me to place a bridge but I haven't done that yet. I was going to wait until I found my 3 choices and invite them but now I'm getting nervous that there is a limit to how long the game will wait.

Thanks!! :)

Barold is leaving today, so if you want him, now's the time!!!

Barold is leaving today, so if you want him, now's the time!!!
Hi! Thank you so much! Unfortunately, I have already invited another villager. Sadly, I read on the internet, a lot of people think he looks like he is in blackface and now I can't un-see it. This makes more sad than I can say but it will bother me. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Back