Pink Hybrid Hyacinth
Pink Hybrid Lily
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Golden Watering Can
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Pink Toy Hammer
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Pink Balloon
more random musings from my brain: do you buy spares of stuff you like? it could be anything, toys, clothing, accessories, etc.

i tend to buy doubles of stuff i really really like, especially clothing. i don't tend to change my style too frequently so i like having spares in order to prolong their lifespan.

I don't know if they're considered spares, but I have multiple of the same outfit. I'm a minimalist and practically wear the same things every day. I consider them doubles rather than "if one of these get ruined I just happen to have an extra."

I was this way in high school and my teachers would always assume I was wearing the same shirt every day. They failed to grasp that while it was the same shirt, it was not the same one from the day before. Having the same style is better than stressing over what to wear each day. I grew up thinking I had a problem because of my teachers, but I found that some of my favorite YouTuber's are also minimalists and now I'm able to put a word to it.

I've duplicates of most household items - e.g. cleaning agents, packs of toilet roll, toothbrushes, etc. Also food/drink staples.

My weirder one though is I need a back-up for fun things. I won't start a new Lego set unless I have a back-up already ordered. Same with Pokémon cards; I tend to have an unopened pack lying around right now 12. I've some weird anxiety about not being able to engage with my hobbies when I want to, so I go out of my way to make sure they're always accessible. 😅

Yes. Almost obsessively. I bought a sweatshirt, sooo soft, on sale for $20 and I loved it so much I literally went back and got another. It was originally $70 so it was a freaking steal. It’s in the back of my closet for when I wear out the first one.

I don't know if they're considered spares, but I have multiple of the same outfit. I'm a minimalist and practically wear the same things every day. I consider them doubles rather than "if one of these get ruined I just happen to have an extra."

I was this way in high school and my teachers would always assume I was wearing the same shirt every day. They failed to grasp that while it was the same shirt, it was not the same one from the day before. Having the same style is better than stressing over what to wear each day. I grew up thinking I had a problem because of my teachers, but I found that some of my favorite YouTuber's are also minimalists and now I'm able to put a word to it.
i agree, i wasn't sure if i should title the thread spares or doubles. i tend to treat most of my spares as doubles too. i feel like if i have only one pair of a pant i like, it wont last as long as if i had two or more in rotation. though i also have spares for more special items that i want to enjoy and not worry about babying too much and those stay in storage until my current pair gets ruined.

I've duplicates of most household items - e.g. cleaning agents, packs of toilet roll, toothbrushes, etc. Also food/drink staples.

My weirder one though is I need a back-up for fun things. I won't start a new Lego set unless I have a back-up already ordered. Same with Pokémon cards; I tend to have an unopened pack lying around right now 12. I've some weird anxiety about not being able to engage with my hobbies when I want to, so I go out of my way to make sure they're always accessible. 😅
ooh yes, i forgot to add household supplies. i tend to buy doubles to lessen the amount of trips to the store. interesting about legos, do you mean you buy the same set twice or you just like having another set to work on before you start your current one?

ooh yes, i forgot to add household supplies. i tend to buy doubles to lessen the amount of trips to the store. interesting about legos, do you mean you buy the same set twice or you just like having another set to work on before you start your current one?
It'll be a different set. I can't bring myself to start the one I have already if there isn't another one there.

I got told off for this in the Lego store on Saturday. Debated buying a new set and my partner told me to build one of the two I already had at home first.

I'll buy doubles of something on uncommon occasions where I really like the thing, it's limited in some way and I want to have a backup for the future. Typically clothing items but not limited to that.

sometimes! pants have a hard time fitting me because of my height, and my size. im SUPER short, but im also plus size, and most "petite plus size" things are still too long on me. if i find a pair of pants that fits, i'll buy a couple more just to have. my favorite jeans are from american eagle and i have two pairs of the exact same pants. love them. comfy.

that reminded me of when i used to wear jeans, i would buy multiples of my favorite pair so i can rotate them throughout the week. for things like household items or food (or items that you would need to restock), i think buying doubles or in packs makes sense. we have stores here that give discounts for bulk purchases. i also tend to buy multiple makeup items since i like having different colors and textures to use. i have like a million different lip glosses with varying shades of pinks lol. i need to stop 😫

I like to buy spares of basic plain clothing such as tank tops and leggings especially if they’re the really comfy ones. I also tend to stock up on all my household essentials when there is a sale going on even if I don’t currently need anymore lol can’t pass up a good sale especially on things I know I’ll always need.

Nah, it's generally a waste of money imo. I do have doubles of some things, but most of my stuff is unique. But I have more stuff in general because of that.

Not really, I just tend to stock up on toiletries so I won't run out expectedly or need to re-purchase them frequently. The only other thing I try to have at least one spare of is a pair of earbuds. I'd hate playing games, listening to music, or watching Youtube through speakers ahaha, and those make up a sizeable chunk of my hobbies, so I feel a lot better having a backup pair in case my current ones stop working. ;v;

I typically only buy spares of phone chargers and headphones. Whenever I have to buy a new charger or pair of headphones, I always get 2. You never know when your charger/headphones will break, and the last thing I want is for mine to stop working in the middle of the night or at some other inconvenient time and to not have a spare handy. I also often buy more than one of the foods/drinks I like when I get them, or buy them in a pack if I can.

I’ll buy spares of household products/toiletries (especially if they’re on sale), otc meds if they come with only 30 or less, and limited edition/hard to find products that I like as well, but not always. I never buy duplicates of clothing items, but I will sometimes buy multiple of a plain t-shirt/tank top/shorts (but in different colours) if I like them and they’re comfy.

Last edited:
Nah, it's generally a waste of money imo. I do have doubles of some things, but most of my stuff is unique. But I have more stuff in general because of that.
i sometimes wish i had a wider variety of clothes instead of a lot of the same/similar styles but i always go back and forth between the two. on the one hand it's nice to have variety but then im a creature of comfort so once i know i like something it's easy to just get extras.
Not really, I just tend to stock up on toiletries so I won't run out expectedly or need to re-purchase them frequently. The only other thing I try to have at least one spare of is a pair of earbuds. I'd hate playing games, listening to music, or watching Youtube through speakers ahaha, and those make up a sizeable chunk of my hobbies, so I feel a lot better having a backup pair in case my current ones stop working. ;v;
this made me realize i do not have spare earbuds lol ;-;

i sometimes wish i had a wider variety of clothes instead of a lot of the same/similar styles but i always go back and forth between the two. on the one hand it's nice to have variety but then im a creature of comfort so once i know i like something it's easy to just get extras.

I'm the opposite, haha. Variety is the name of the game for me! That applies to clothing, food, and just about anything. ;)

Now that I think about it - no. But there have been occasions of buying a digital copy of a game and later wanting a physical one.

I buy spares on occasion. I have a spare phone charger, computer charger, & spare pair of glasses. Also tend to replace non perishable food when I use it, stuff like that.

Now that I think about it - no. But there have been occasions of buying a digital copy of a game and later wanting a physical one.
oooh yes this is another big thing. i wanted to get animal crossing nh in physical copy but because of the pandemic i ended up getting it digital. now i kind of want to buy a second copy in physical just for my video game collection.

oooh yes this is another big thing. i wanted to get animal crossing nh in physical copy but because of the pandemic i ended up getting it digital. now i kind of want to buy a second copy in physical just for my video game collection.

yeah my english teacher bought a box of video games to the classroom to sell.

...I didn't have any cash on me. But he gave me Red Dead Redemption for my $20 Amazon Gift Card. I already had a digital copy, but it felt like a good deal to physically own it. And I did end up playing through it again.

Huge fan of buying spares right here. Potential favorite shirt that I might wear out and want another - yes, I'll buy two. Potential favorite toy for Nicholas that the world will end if something happens to it? - 100% buying two. Found a yarn or something that I might want more of later and worried about the dye lot changing? - you guessed it, buying two.

I also buy bulk of things I know I'll use through the year so that I don't have to buy them intermittently or worry about running out of them.

Back